Monday, June 1, 2009

Veggie Migas


So it's Monday and time to implement the first night of my 'planned' meals for the week. I've never really been all that good at planning out my meals for the week. I have good intentions, but when the time comes, the feeling usually passes and I would rather eat out. With the help of my foodie pal Pat, I have been getting better and staying committed to my meal plans and not wasting the food sitting in my fridge. Tonight was a take on Rachel Ray's Mighty Migas. I made some slight modifications to the recipe to appeal to our personal tastes -- plus the fact that some of the ingredients I thought I had in the pantry were in fact not in the pantry.

The recipe is as follows:

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp of olive oil
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (I omitted the jalapenos)
1 small red or green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
1 small white or red onion, chopped
Salt and black pepper
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
8 large eggs, beaten
1 cup crushed tortilla chips
1 10 oz sack (2 cups) shredded monterey jack or cheddar cheese
8 6-inch flour tortillas (soft taco size)
1 cup tomato sauce ( subbed 1 can enchilada sauce)
1 to 2 chipotle chilies in adobo, finely chopped (subbed small can chopped chilies)
A handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped

Directions:

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Add the jalapenos ( i did not add the jalapenos), bell peppers and onions and season with the salt and pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, then add the tomatoes and cook a minute more.

2. Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper and add to the veggies. Reduce the heat to medium low. Scramble the eggs not quite halfway, so they are still nice and wet. Add the crushed tortilla chips and scramble them in. Cover the eggs with the cheese and turn off the heat. Cover the pan loosely w/foil to melt the cheese and set aside for a minute.

3. Heat a second, dry skillet over high heat. Add the tortillas one at a time and sear for 30 seconds on each side to blister them.

4. In a small bowl, stir together the tomato sauce (I used enchilada sauce) and the chopped chipotle ( I used chopped chilies). Stir in the cilantro.

5. Place a mound of the migas on each flour tortilla and dot with the sauce. Serve immediately, two per person.

No comments:

Post a Comment