Saturday, August 29, 2009

Rugelach




Well hello!! I guess you probably thought I abandoned my blog since it's been ages since I posted anything. Well not true -- things have just be really hectic around here and since blogging is just a hobby, it tends to take the backseat most times. I don't really even know how big my audience is, or if I even have an audience, but if you're out there... here I am and I have been thinking about you.

I was inspired recently to make homemade Rugelach. Not sure why, other than I wanted a new challenge aside from the typical cake or cookie recipe. I started looking through my more challenging of cookbooks and found this recipe by Martha Stewart. I was impressed with myself and the end result was fantastic. I really liked the mixture of the walnuts, cinnamon, currants and chocolate chips. It was a yummy and interesting flavor. Yes, I said yummy! Here is the recipe, hope you enjoy it!

Ingredients:
2 sticks (1cup) unsalted butter, room temp
8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
3/4 Cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt
1 large whole egg, plus 3 egg yolks
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup (4 ounces) walnut halves or pieces
pinch of ground cinnamon
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (12 ounces) apricot jelly, melted
2 cups currants, mini semisweet chocolate chips or a combination
granulated sugar or sanding sugar for sprinkling

Directions:
1. In a food processor, blend butter, cream cheese, on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt; beat until combine and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating to combine after each. With the mixer on low speed, beat in the flour to combine. Mix in vanilla. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide into 3 equal pieces and shape into flattened disks; wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.

2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees, with racks set in upper and lower thirds. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a small bowl, combine egg with 1 teaspoon water to make an egg wash.

3. In a food process, pulse together the walnuts, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, the cinnamon and pinch of salt until finely ground; set aside. Working with one disk at a time, place dough on lightly floured parchment paper, and roll out into an 11-inch circle (about 1/4 inch thick), dusting lightly with flour as needed. Using a large dinner plate as a guide, cut around dough to make a perfect circle; trim off and discard scraps.

4. Brush the tops evenly with melted jelly. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the walnut mixture and a 1/3 of the currants/choc. chips. Using a rolling pin, gently roll over the rounds to press the filling into the dough.

5. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut each circle into 16 equal triangles. Starting from the wide end, roll up each triangle of dough; place on lined baking sheets, seam side down. Brush rolls with egg wash; dividing evenly, sprinkle with sanding sugar.

6. Bake two sheets, rotating halfway through, until the cookies are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining baking sheet. Rugelach can be kept in an airtight container at room temp for up to 4 days.

Eating them warm with a glass of milk is my favorite, but you come up with your favorite combination and let me know how it turns out. I really want to know -- really I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment