Thursday, June 18, 2009

Battle of the raspberry bar



So after being challenged at work by a friend who questions my cooking skills, I had decided that anything I cook and/or bake from here on out would be brought to work and tested by this person. We will refer to them as PW -- and NO, it isn't the Pioneer Woman. So one day, not so long ago, PW requested raspberry bars. OK, so funny enough, I actually had an idea already about conquering the raspberry bar. I thought about trying Martha Stewart's jam bars and then I saw a fantastic recipe posted on Smitten Kitchen, but then as I looked further, I found a recipe posted by somebody and that recipe came from their 94 year old grandmother. I'm sorry, but a recipe from a 94 year old woman has to trump anything anybody else can do...at least that is my opinion. The recipe couldn't have been simpler and the results were fantastic. They had a great caramelized chewiness and the sweet/sour layers w/the oat topping made for a great raspberry bar. I actually had some fresh raspberries on hand, so I chunked them up and threw them into the jam and that made all the difference. I will also be making the other recipes I mentioned and do a comparison to see which raspberry bar prevails. In the meantime, make these, you'll be glad you did!

The recipe is as follows:

1 1/2 cups oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1 12-oz jar raspberry jam or preserves (peach also can be used)

Mix together all dry ingredients. Mix in the melted butter. Press half of the oatmeal mixture into a greased 9 x 13” pan. Spread the jam on top (I stir the jam to make it more spreadable). Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment