Sunday, June 7, 2009

Cupcake with Cream Cheese and Lime Frosting



Lemons and limes remind me so much of Summer. They are two of my favorite citrus smells and flavors. I had some limes sitting around and I got the itch to incorporate them into some yummy cupcakes. I went out on a search and found many recipes, but in the end I settled on throwing something together of my own, hoping it would end with a delicious result. My son enjoyed the cupcakes plain and my brother-in-law and two older kids enjoyed them fully dressed in a fantastic cream cheese lime frosting. I took some before frosting and after frosting shots so that you would get a complete picture of the goodness from start to finish. Unfortunately the lighting for the frosted shots was much different than that of the un-frosted shots, so I had to play around in photoshop to try and achieve descent looking pictures. Considering my amateur status as a photographer, I think they turned out okay. I definitely know they could be better. I am especially proud of the Bokeh I captured.

The recipe is as follows:

Ingredients:
1 box of vanilla or yellow cake mix (or your favorite homemade cake recipe)
4 limes
1 Cup cream cheese
2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temp
6 cups confectioner's sugar
1/4 Cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1. Bake the cake according the directions on the box. Add the juice and zest of 2 limes and incorporate into the cake batter. Fill the cupcake liners and bake according to box.

2. Cream the 2 sticks of butter in a mixer until smooth. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix on medium speed until just incorporated. Add the milk, vanilla and 2 more coups of powdered sugar and mix 1-2 minutes longer. Add the final 2 cups of powdered sugar and the juice and zest of the last 2 limes and mix until fully incorporated and consistency smooth, sand fluffy.

3. Using an off-set spatula or a piping bag, frost cupcakes once they are completely cooled. Eat immediately and refrigerate the leftovers.

1 comment:

  1. Ali - your photography is getting better every time I see photos!! You really need to be doing THAT for a living. Not that you don't rock some TD, I just know how much more you'd enjoy it! =)

    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete